NC Innovations Waiver
The Medicaid 1915(c) Waiver, most commonly referred to as “NC Innovations,” is a Medicaid Waiver program for individuals with intellectual disabilities and other developmental disabilities. It is designed to give individuals and families an alternative to placement in an intermediate care facility (ICF).
NC Innovations offers services and support options designed to help individuals of all ages remain in their community and to live as independently as possible. The NC Innovations Waiver helps individuals have a role in planning and selecting how to receive and maintain community-based services for his/her self. It empowers them to live a more independent life.
The number of individuals who can participate in the NC Innovations Waiver is limited by the State of North Carolina, the Centers for Medicaid and Medicare Services, and available funding.
The NC Innovations Waiver is not an entitlement or right. It is a set of Medicaid services that a person may receive if they meet specific criteria, and there is availability.
To be part of North Carolina’s Innovations Waiver, you must:
- Meet the requirements for Intermediate Care Facility for Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities (ICF-IID) level of care
- Live in an ICF-IID or be at risk of being placed in an ICF-IID
- Be able to stay safe, healthy and well in the community while using NC Innovations Waiver services
- Need and use NC Innovations Waiver services listed in your person-centered plan at least once a month
- Want to use Home and Community Based services instead of living in an ICF-IID
NC Innovation Forms
Updated: July 11, 2023